February 5, 2012

Cake Balls

The baby shower for one of my best friends was yesterday. I had volunteered to bring some treats and since there was already a cake I had to figure out what else to do. I considered cookies or cupcakes but both seemed like too much since there was cake. Then I recalled cake balls. I made them two Christmas' ago when they had just started to become popular and have wanted to make them again but haven't had an occasion. This seemed like the perfect excuse.
You bake a cake, I used a chocolate cake mix out of a box and baked it in a 9 by 13 pan. Then put the cake in your kitchen aid mixer and mix on low until you haven crumbs. Then add some frosting- most recipes out there call for a whole can but I only used three-quarters of the can and had the right consistency. You then have a weird cake "dough".

Roll it into balls- I made one inch balls and got close to 90 of them! Freeze them for at least 4 hours so they will hold up when you dip them in chocolate. Melt the candy coating chips and dip the balls in, adding sprinkles right away before the chocolate sets up. It takes a bit of trial and error to figure out what tools work best to get smooth chocolate but I ended up using a couple different spoons and putting them out on waxed paper.
They were much loved at the party and were the perfect compliment to the chocolate cake. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment