This past week the challenge was color, definitely broad! I knew right away I wanted to do green but then wavered with my choice when I realized my stash of green fabric was significantly smaller than most other colors. As I sat and thought and looked for inspiration I kept coming back to green and nature. Trees, grass, leaves; all these organic things. I came upon a Polo shirt my dasd had given me because of a hole in the collar but it was yellow. I was so drawn to it though because it had a teeny basket weave texture. I vaguely recalled seeing something on a blog about RIT dye but had never tried it.
So went this entire challenge; I ended up doing many things I had never tried! I told my husband late last night that this single shirt had pushed me to the edge (maybe off the edge) of my sewing knowledge.
I went with green and stayed with a sketch of a pieced back to mimic the lines of a leaf. Added a hood, with more piecing, and some lining. Even added facing to finish the back and neckline- a concept brand new to my skills. Added lining to the back to hide all the seams from the piecing and loved the way it started to come together.
On the heels of KCWC this was maybe silly to take on but I finished and am loving the outcome. So fun to think, sketch, draft, sew and then finally see something come together.
|love this kid!|